04 September 2007

Making Stuff Up?

This one gave me the giggles (probably because I just had a conversation with a new philosophy PhD student - sorry Devlin! :)


At least when I make stuff up, it sounds like a methodology!

In actuality, the conversation I had with Devlin was particularly interesting. He is looking to develop a contemporary ethics that feels a lot like a retrieval of the Aristotelian notion of the virtuous person. In doing so, he will be obsolescing both utilitarian and deontological ethical frames. During the conversation, it struck me that both of these forms are consistent with prior cultural epochs - the fragmented, Gutenberg era that gave us the Industrial Age, and the manuscript culture just prior. An Aristotelian retrieval may well be an appropriate ethical foundation for the UCaPP age.

Or maybe we're both just making stuff up!

[Technorati tags: | | | | ]

No comments: